Saturday, January 15, 2011

Class 1, Reading 1

I absolutely agree with this article. When science is made tangible and hands-on, I as a student, learn so much more through my own discovery. I have been in a number of science classes and grow so much more when the class supports inquiry rather than reading about examples and another person's explanation. I have seen students grow excited when they engage in conversations about what they are exploring. In these same classes, during a test I refer back to my experiences rather than what I memorized out of a textbook.
As teachers, it is an easy route to read out of a textbook, and uncomfortable feeling to allow students to have so much control over their learning. But, it is necessary in order for students to truly learn from their experiences.

1 comment:

  1. Jane,
    I also agree with Gunckel and your comments. I think a big part to my negative experience with science and the fear and lack of confidence of teaching it is because when I was a student science was not always hands on. It was at times taught out of the book and based off of vocabulary terms that had to be memorized.
    It is important for all students to have a positive learning experience in science class so that they can build on those skills everyday using their previous knowledge and skills to question and discover.

    ReplyDelete