Sunday, January 16, 2011

class 1- reading 1 and 2

Gunckel EPE
This is not my first experience with Gunckel's EPE model, yet I am glad it has been reintroduced to me at this time before my lead teaching with Science begins. The big idea here is that by providing students with ample opportunity to engage with the subject matter as it exists in real life, you are supporting a more authentic learning experience. Although it may seem like it requires more preparation, in the long run, by allowing students the experience of genuine inquiry, you are setting both yourself and your students up for success as a science learner.

Ready Set Science Ch. 2
I think Science is a unique subject in that the difference between "content" and "process" learning objectives is quite evident. I think this makes it easy for teachers to provide some "experiment time" where students are literally experiencing the content but I also think, atleast in my own experience, that an opportunity to teach students about the Scientific Process is is often missed at the point. Thus,I really appreciate the way this chapter lays out the four learning strands so concisely and think the case study is useful as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment